Monday, April 25, 2011

Training Day 21: A real Spring BREAK

Shhh..don't tell anyone that I took a week off of training during spring break! Yes..I took a break. With the kids around and visiting family, I lost each day to busy fun and didn't run as I ate my way through the vacation. So, today when I decided that I had to get back on the wagon, I figured it was going to be a hard one. The only running I had been doing had been outside, not timing myself, running a few hills and less than flat areas, but I definately thought that I would have to head back to square one or two.

But, Surprise! I went the gym this morning because I needed to run without having to take care of my daughter. So as she headed to the kids room happily, I nervously approached the treadmills. I really wished I was going to be running outside.  As I climbed on and warmed up for a few minutes, I started my jog. Although I usually run for 3 minutes (which is hard for me) so wasn't I pleasantly surprised when I looked down at the clock and it was 4 minutes already! I felt full of energy so I decided to try and reach the 5 min. mark (which has been my goal for a while). I was psyched and feeling strong when I finished that first set so I only walked a min or two and then tried again! And I did it again! It felt amazing to be able to do this! Felt so strong in that moment! As I continued to run for 5 min. intervals between the min or two walk, I realized that I was almost up to the 3 mile mark when the 45 minutes came around. I was close to finishing my 5K goal setting on the treadmill, so I decided to run two more 5 minute sets. In a little under an hour, I made it to my first 5K distance and ran 5 minutes interals! YEAH! Guess running outside really did make me stronger and those hills helped.

I just want to keep on doing that until my first official 5K in May so now I have found new motivation to keep going....here's to not giving up!

No comments:

Post a Comment