Saturday, March 5, 2011

Training Day 5: Progress...

It's been 5 running days, 9 days since starting and I am actaully seeing progress already! After lots of talking about running this week, I have been getting some great advice from people. The most interesting advice came from a new doctor I met for my daughter. She was also my age and had just ran her first 10K at Disney! Who knew that Disney had different runs at their parks...how fun is that? Like me, she had never been able to run before so she set out on this goal to run a 10k. When asked how she did it, she told me she followed a running site that gave advice. She told me about a running guru named Jeff Galloway who had a great program where you run a certain amount of minutes and then walk 2 minutes inbetween a run. Off I went to check out the website. I feel like I could do that...

So, adjustment to my new plans. My new goal is to run/jog 5 minutes and walk 2. I think that is in my reach. When I went to the gym today, I decided to embrace my new motivation to get to the 5 minutes mark and maybe do a run at Disney, and pushed myself try and  run 2 minutes, walk 2 minutes (Thank you to my very supportive friend Kimmy who told me to try that even when I didn't think I could do that yet). Surprisingly, I was able to do it! And I pushed my time to run/jog for  45minutes at 3.7-4.0 mph!  I am trying to actually jog faster than I walk. What a rush to feel like I could do it! There is hope yet. This wasa  hard week time wise with a very busy working husband, a babysitter who was out of commision and our usual crazy schedule. It would have been easy to not run this week, but I am so glad that I was abel to stick to the schedule of running every other day and improve each time. So often it is easy to see what we haven't accomplished but I am trying to focus on the fact that after one week, I am making good strides in my personal goal and am motivated to get another 5 days down on the training schedule.  Here's to baby steps and not giving up!

Next goal: Keep up running to 45 minutes,  keeping it at 4.0 mph at 2:2 run/walk for next 5 training sessions.(Bonus...maybe run/walk for an hour by training day 10) Let's see!

No comments:

Post a Comment