After a difficult last session, I was wondering if I would be able to do better today. Last night I had a fun night out with my friend and we wound up sharing a bottle of wine and staying up having some "friend therapy" until almost midnight, plus it was pouring buckets! So, I missed my first morning run. As the guilt set in after three small cookies at our faculty meeting, I decided to run after school and not miss my training day.
Maybe this was just what I needed..an afternoon run! I hopped on the treadmill and was glad to see right away that my energy was strong (probably from those darn cookies!) As I started to do my 2run/2 walk at 4 mph, I was happy to watch some fun tv to keep me distracted. (Thank you Ellen and Oprah!) I quickly realized I was able to do my run portion easier than the other day! I actually felt like I could run a little faster also but decided to enjoy the moment and stay at 4 mph..I was feeling strong and proud. Before I knew it, the treadmills around me started filling up and I noticed they were running faster than me...much faster. I glanced at their screens. The girl next to me was running a 10 minute mile and the guy on the other side was running an 8 minute mile! Ready for mine?....a 15 minute mile. Yeah...ok. So I started to think maybe I wasn't doing as well as I thought. Maybe this was a mistake and I would always we be the slow girl trying to run on the treadmill. Then it started to occur to me that it is so easy to look around at others and see what they can do better than us or easier than us but I should just be looking at myself and my personal growth. I have be improving as a runner over these last 2 weeks and feel stronger every day. It is so easy to think about what you could do better or what you haven't done, but in this moment I was running easier and faster for me so I didn't want to lose that good feeling just because others were in a different place than me. So instead of choosing to see all I can't do or what I haven't accomplished yet, I am choosing to see what I can do and have accomplished to keep me going. (By the way, those "faster" runners didn't last as long as me and were done running after like 20 minutes....wimps. I am just saying...
Today's stats...2:2 run/ walk at 4 mph/3.5 mph. for 45 minutes and felt good at the end! Less tomato red face too...a little at a time!
No comments:
Post a Comment