I made it to the gym for my 9th training day..feels like longer but just day 9. No matter things didn't work out in the past because I would have felt like I was doing something for a long time when actually it wasn't. Anyway, had lots of excuses to miss the gym this morning. Of course the time delay and losing an hour of sleep was hard plus my wonderful cousin was sleeping over with her girls. We stayed up late having fun and hanging out. Then, I had a meeting at church at 10:30 that I couldn't miss. My house was a huge mess from the kids having fun and I am not even mentioning the piles of laundry that I have to deal with. The gym nursery closed at 1 so if I was going, I had to do it. Thanks to my supportive cousin pushing me, I ran to church and she dressed the kids for me to take to the gym. After church, I ran in, changed in a minute, gave kisses to our cousins who were leaving and threw my kids into the car. (bribes helped!) Off to the gym to seize the moment! I knew I'd regret it if I didn't go.
Once the kids were settled in the kids room, I jumped onto the treadmill. My adrenaline was pumping from trying to get there on time so I decided to use this to run 2 min./ walk 1 min. At the beginning, it was as easy as the 2:2 run/walk but after 20 minutes, I definitely saw myself looking at the clock more counting down the seconds to get the 2 min. run over. I was proud of myself by the end of the 45 minutes that I did it! It felt more like a real run because there was only a min. space in between the running parts! It felt great to push myself to improve just a little today..one more session like this and I will try to move to 3 min. run/2 min walk. A little at a time...
I have a new dilemma though..my cousin's husband gave me a new thought. He said that running on the treadmill was completely different than running on a track or street. He made the point that the treadmill brings and pushes the steps for you. Outside, I have to do the moving alone. Never occurred to me so when do I start practicing outside? I am tied to the timer right now and like to see the distance. I could try the local track at the high school since I can clock my distance better but boring. But I am afraid I won't make the same progress. So should I go to gym some days and outside the others? At this point, getting there gets me onto the other machines too sometimes. I need to figure out a good schedule that will keep me progressing without tiring out me out. Time to do some research and think. Any advice from all you runners out there, would love to here it.
No comments:
Post a Comment