Monday, March 7, 2011

Training Day 6: Hitting my challenge...

Ok..it's official. The newneses and excitement of doing something new is already wearing off. I have an admittedly short attention span when it comes to these things. Pilates one week, biking another, gym, then "natural exercise", no dairy, eating organic.... Can you tell I am a Gemini? Variety is the spice of life they say.

As I listened to the torental downpour at 2 am, threatening to float my house away last night, I thought about actually missing the gym due to the fact I didn't have a boat to get there. Then I thought of plan B: I would just drag all three kids after school  to a dentist appointment and feee them dinner and then head to  the gym to do my goal. (I know it seemed unrealistic but for the sake of sleeping a little longer after being woken up by Gavin's fear of the rain outside, I wasn't thinking straight). When my alarm went of at 4:45, I didn't hear the rain anymore..could it be safe to venture out? Well, it was fine by some miracle. As the flood waters subsided, I dragged myself to the gym.

As I walked in, the gym was pretty empty except for the seven treadmills  I liked to use so I was forced to use another kind they have. Probably the same to most people but I prefer one over the other so I got onto the "older" treadmill. Happily, I noticed right away that the tv reception was better on this one so I felt a little more inspired to run. I did my settings, stretched out and began my 2 min walk, 2 min run. My new goal is 4.0 mph when running. I was also happy to see that you could watch your time and see yourself "running" around the track on this model...that would be different! Quickly in, I realized that it is probably not good to see our time ticking away as "you" creep slowly around "the track." At times, it felt like the 2 minutes of running was long and it felt harder today. By the end of the 2 minute block, I was anxiously slamming the mph back down to 3.5 for the 2 minute walk. (Small progress...I can actually jog faster than I can walk!YEAH! )  But I definately felt this was a challenge to do the 2:2 at 4 mph. The thought of facing my blog as a "failure" and  quitter was enough to push me to reach my goal and by the end, I had run/walked for 45 minutes, covered 2.56 miles and had done it at 4 mph! I know it was my most challenging run yet because my face looked like a tomato for almost 20 minutes after I finished and I was worn out. But at least I found my top fitness level for now...so for the next 4 training days, I will try to feel more comfortable at that speed and pace before more improvements.  I think I will look for improvements to my eating habits and scale in the meantime. It hasn't realized we are trying to get back in shape...the scale has actually crept up a pound..Really? Time to focus on how much I am eating while I try to keep up the runnning...till day 7!

No comments:

Post a Comment